Monday, April 16, 2012

Bill and Jill


Bill sits in a lazy boy.  A glass with heavy alcohol sits on the table next to him.  He takes a sip.  He turns on the TV and tries to watch it for a moment, but only finds commercials.  He turns it off, takes another sip, and finishes his drink.  He walks to the kitchen and refills his glass with whiskey from an unlabeled bottle.
Bill walks back into the living room and sits down back down in his lazy boy, pretending not to notice Jill directly across from him.
“Nothing on?”
“No.”
“So, you're just going to sit there?”
“What am I supposed to do?”
“You used to love reading.”
“I ran out of Hemingway.”  Jill laughs sweetly.
“Where is Tim?”
“I don't know.”
“Bill.”
Bill looks her in the eyes. 

He stands up and moves towards her.  His face smoothes.
“Do you want to come in?”
“I'd love to.”  Bill moves out of her way and looks around the room hopefully.  He’s been cleaning all day, but can only see the spots he missed.  Jill looks around.
“It's not much but it gets the job done.  It's got everything I really need.”
“I like it.”
“I'm doing good with my money.  I'm saving more than I'm spending.  So eventually I'll be able to get a nice place.”
“This isn't a nice place?”
“It's a nice place, but I want a place with some outside in it.  Some plant life.  Places for people to sit and talk.”
“That sounds nice.”  Bill smiles and walks toward Jill.  He kisses her. 

Their rings make an inaudible clink as their hands touch.  Bill looks around in amazement.
“I love it.”
“Isn't it beautiful.  I have so many memories here.  My parents used to take me every summer.  A girl lived across the street.  Matilda.  We became close friends.  We would walk out onto the beach and swim all day while my parents cooked and read and played cards.  Sometimes Matilda's family would come over and we would all eat dinner together.  I always had dreams here.  I would lie down and the waves would lull me to sleep.”  Bill kisses her again. 

As he pulls away, his eyes become wrinkled.
“Why do you do this?”
“You miss me.”
“Of course I miss you.”
“I'm still here.”
“No you're not.”
“Look at Tim.”
“Me and Tim never got along.”
“It's not too late.”
“Yes it is.  I fucked it up.  I fucked it all up.  I never loved him.  I tried so hard to love him.  I thought when I saw him I was supposed to love him.  That’s what they say.  A woman becomes a mother when she's pregnant, a man becomes a father when he sees his child.  I didn't.  I didn't love him until you...”  Bill looks away.
“Yes?”
“I'm so sorry.  I'm so sorry.”
“Don't.”
“It's so stupid.  It was my turn to take him.  I should have just gone.  But I wanted to—“
“Wanted to finish your movie.”
“Fucking Men in Black.  I've seen it a million fucking times.”
“It's ok.”
“No it's not.  You died.  I should have—“
Jill interrupts and turns his face to hers.
“It's ok.”

“You're pregnant?”  Jill smiles and nods.  “I'm gonna be a father?”  Jill nods again.  “Shit.”
“What's wrong?”
“Nothing.  I'm just nervous or shocked or—“
“Happy?”
“Yes.”  Bill reaches for Jill’s hand.  “I'm very happy…it just...”  Bill walks around the room.  “Jack knows a lot of construction people.  I could probably get a good deal on something.”
“For what?”
“I think we'll need another room.”  Jill smiles, walks up to Bill, and kisses him. 

Bill’s eyes wrinkle.  “I remember that so well.”
“Me too.”
“You were so excited for Tim to grow up on the beach.”  Jill starts to walk away.  “Jill.”
“Bill.”
“I always hated how our names rhymed.”
“Me too.  But at least we got to laugh at our wedding invitations.”
Jill kisses Bill and Bill stares forward at where she used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment